b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] music in Hebrew [was Re: Long: *Some* Bib for Bryan]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rochelle Altman <willaa AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] music in Hebrew [was Re: Long: *Some* Bib for Bryan]
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:34:53 +0200

At 08:23 PM 1/25/2006, Karl Randolph wrote:
Rochelle:

While I find your theory about music interesting, I cannot
help but wonder if it accounts for all of musical expression.

What about short and long notes?

Ancient music has a very strong tendency towards one syllable-one note of equal lengths. Short notes did not exist; long notes, that is, repeated (held) notes, are common at the end of a cola and on important words.

What about short pick up notes before the main notes?

All the psalms have a "titulus" -- a header. The header gives the Psalm tone. Sometimes, the header also gives the range of the psalm formula. "Miz mor.le da vid" is a five-note psalm tone and formula range; it's the pick up notes. The notes are all of equal value.

What about drawn out notes for emphasis?

Though the term "held" is anachronistic -- it was a repetition of a phoneme on separate notes of equal value.-- "held" notes for emphasis are common. That's what the "big" and little" letters are all about. An extra-wide final mem, for instance, indicates a note repeated for the length of the extension. So, yes, notes for emphasis are clearly marked. We can see such "extended" repeated notes in the non-cannonical psalms from among the DSS.

Is there any way to recognize syncopation should there be any?

Yes. The "clumping and spacing," that is words written together or apart or with somewhat wider spacing between letters indicates the rhythm. Any syncopation will be recorded in the writing.

How about dotted notes followed by short notes?

They had neither dotted nor short notes back then. What they had was equal notes and repeated (held) notes. <1>

You mentioned that there are ways to recognize when
syllables are added to music, what ways are there to
recognize when syllables are removed from music?

We see a series of phonemes repeated over a series of notes to cover the space left by removal of syllables. The key word is 'series'; single occurrences do not indicate anything but emphasis. Such evidence is lacking in the Davidic Psalms. The pre-monarchial psalms though... maybe. For instance, in the 96th, it is possible that a vowel was lost from "shir" -- making it "shira" -- however, that would require "hadasha"... and there is no sign of a loss of vowel from "hadash," Still, it's possible.

Just curious.

Karl W. Randolph.

Hope this helps,

Rochelle Altman

<1> Not relevant to B-Hebrew, but worth noting. One of the major fights about the reconstruction of Gregorian chants is the way the Solesmes school turns repeated notes into long held notes.