b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 2:4 Skin for Skin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 2:4 Skin for Skin
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:45:27 +0000

@Alexander

Waltke & O'Conner says this about the use of B:`AD as

"the preposition also indicates interest or advantage, arising from the idea
of protection for (for the benefit/sake or).

And they go on to say that this sense rarely entails an exchange commodity
and they list this passage. p202.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: Alexander Oldernes <alexander AT oldernes.no>

> `WR B`D-`WR
>
> Alternative translations of B`D is "away from" or "in behalf of".
>
> I've always thought of it as "take some skin away from his skin",
> or that the skin is in connection with "life" - "Skin in behalf of skin!
> ... He
> will give it in behalf of his life".
> `WR B`D-`WR ... B`D NPSHW
>
> Satan thought of Job as a selfish person that even would trade his life to
> escape from his "missing skin".
> He therefore gave him a skin desease (2:7,8) and influenced his wife to
> suggest
> that he should trade his life for relief (2:9).
>
> Alexander Oldernes
> Norway

A Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament compares "skin for
skin" at Job 2:4, with the Bedouin expression used when bartering, "ra's
bira's," "a head (of cattle) for a head." Hölscher and Tur-Sinai also
suggest: "one skin following another, like an onion." The lexical entry
notes that one meaning of B(D is "4. surrounding in protection > for the
benefit of, for: thus in proper names." Also B(D has the following
meaning, and it is under this one that the lexicon places the phrase
"skin for skin": "5. sbst. exchange value, price."

The phrase could imply that a person will give up his skin in order to
save his skin (his life). We heard about the man who was willing to cut
off his arm to free himself from a boulder that fell on him in the
desert. There is nothing more valuable than one's life, and a person
will give up anything he has to preserve it. I was thinking that Job 2:4
could imply a person would give up another human life to save his own
(another human being would be the most precious thing on earth one could
give), but Satan may not imply that. There is no other person that Job
was tempted to give up, and one person cannot really have another
person, can he? (That may sound naive, but I mean in an ultimate sense.)
And the context of Job 2:5 seems to be going in another direction.

The word )WLM in Job 2:5 is a strong adversative. This implies that
Satan is about to give an idea in contrast with what precedes in verse
4. He claims if God strikes Job's bone (self) and flesh that Job will
give up his faith in God, turning against God with curses. The thread of
logic seems to be that although a person will give up even his own skin
to save his life, if God attacks a person's skin and life, taking away
their value so to speak, then a person will no longer see the value in
his life and will even curse the God who gave it. At least this is what
the ensuing context of Job suggests the idea may be.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard