b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job 2:4 Skin for Skin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job 2:4 Skin for Skin
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:56:01 -0800

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out for some time what the phrase *skin for
skin* - ('WR B'R 'WR) means exactly - or even approximately. It does not
appear anywhere else in the Bible. The nearest parallel I can find is of
course *an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth* (Lev 24:20) but the wording
is different ('YN THT 'YN). Also the context is different. In Lev 24:20
there is a balancing of injuries. However in Job, there is no obvious (at
least to me) balancing of lost or gained skin. Ha-Shatan tell Yahweh to
*strike his flesh and bone* some there is some theme of body parts but the
phase is still opaque to me.

Any thoughts?

--
Jack Tladatsi