b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew keyboard & font size

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew keyboard & font size
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:06:39 -0500

Dave:

If you think Windows is bad, I'm a Mac user.
But one of my favorite programs that I use
with OS X is "Activity Monitor", a program that
tells me what is going on in my Mac so I can
adjust programs to work more efficiently. As
for Hebrew, I have used only the unpointed
text (by choice), which gives me no problems
whatsoever.

Seriously, it is not the cognoscenti that have
been dumbed down, rather that the advent of
Windows has encouraged many who don't
know what they are doing to use computers.
I personally have used computers since the
IBM 360 and JCL days, and have installed
Linux systems (they have really improved
and gotten much more user friendly in recent
years), but I am no computer expert. It is my
understanding that the display of fonts is
actually done in the shell (KDE, GNOME,
etc.) layer.

I think it is a good thing that more people are
using technology, and I agree with you that
people should learn more about what "goes
on under the hood" as far as their computers
are concerned, but not everyone has the
mental preparedness to do so.

As for that problem with Windows and
Hebrew fonts, I have no answers for that,
as I don't use Windows.

Karl W. Randolph.