b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Who is "him" at Daniel 11:1?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: sesamox AT hotmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Who is "him" at Daniel 11:1?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:08:23 EST

Artscroll-Mesorah, representing traditional Jewish interpretation, puts
Daniel 10:20-11:1 in the same one paragraph:
"He said: Do you know why I came to you? Now I will return to do battle with
the heavenly prince of Persia; then I will depart. But behold -- the
heavenly prince of Greece approaches. However, I will tell you what is
inscribed
in truthful writing. No one reinforces me against these, except your
heavenly
prince, Michael; and I, in the first year of Darius the Mede, stood up as a
support and stronghold for him."

That the thoughts follow without a break, with Darius mentioned only
casually, strongly suggests that the referent "him" goes back to Michael.
Thus it
is understood by traditional Jewish commentators, with the exception of
Abarbanel. Concerning the angel's standing up for "him," Artscroll-Mesorah
says:
"i.e., for Michael, the previously-mentioned heavenly prince of the Jews
(Rashi)."

In a message dated 01/09/2006 4:00:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,