b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Who is "him" at Daniel 11:1?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Who is "him" at Daniel 11:1?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:00:25 +0100

The 1599 Geneva Study Bible states:
11:1 Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, [even] I, a stood to confirm and to strengthen him.

(a) The angel assures Daniel that God has given him power to perform these things, seeing that he appointed him to assist Darius when he overcame the Chaldeans.

So, this commentary assumes that "him" is Darius. However, if we read the preceding verses, which were written without a break, we could also understand that "him" is "Michael", and the allusion to Darius is a mere indication of the year.

Could you tell me some arguments for and against this interpretation?

Thanks
Sergio