b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 01:23:07 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 12:43 AM

Peter, Yigal et al:

It is this "Yeho" pronunciation both as a prefix and a
suffix that makes me suspect that the Name was originally
pronounced as "Yehoha" or something similar.

I cannot help but notice, however, that when the theophoric is first, it is usually "Yeho" as in Yehosef, Yehoykim, Yehoash..but when the theophoric is last, it is usually "Yahu" as in Yeshayahu. Yirimyahu so there is some form of lexical play with the waw. I have always thought that YHWH was the Hiph'l of the Aramaic (HWH) for of HYH ane perhaps sounded YeHAWA but I am having second thoughts that the sounding of this name for God may not be in Hebrew usage (which it predates) at all but in earlier Canaanite and perhaps even Akkadian.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
San Marcos, Texas