b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Oxen & Oxcarts in the Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Franklin <criptozoid AT lordbalto.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Oxen & Oxcarts in the Exodus
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:09:42 +0000

On 31/12/2005 03:57, Steve Franklin wrote:

| So, are you sayig that the story as told in Exodus was not
| miraculous or did I mis-understand your posting.

Yes, I am saying that in its original form, it was not miraculous, just as the
birth of Isaac when Sarah was 90 was not miraculous, but, in that particular
case, the result of a doubling of the timeline sometime after the story was
written. These folks were not idiots and their accounts were not written for
idiots. They did not expect anyone to believe that these events were the
result
of miracles, which I distinguish from instances of divine intervention; Sarah,
after all, had reached menopause at the time. ...

Well, Steve, the question was not for you, but your answer gives me the chance to correct your misconceptions.

Do you really expect anyone reading the Exodus account to believe that it was not intended by the author to describe something miraculous? Is the parting of the sea not a miracle? (Here I leave aside the question of whether the events really happened.) As these folks were not indeed idiots, they would have realised that there was nothing special about Sarah conceiving at age about 45. But, as it is clearly known, they had a world view in which miracles did happen, and so they would have had no problem with the account as it stands, of Sarah giving birth at 90 and the sea parting to let the Israelites cross.

As for your sepculations on Egyptian chronology, you sound like a new Velikovsky, but I won't go into such off topic matters here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)