b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:46:53 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

In looking at the spelling in the Qur'an you need to keep in mind that it
was written in Hejazi Arabic which had lost the glottal stop and in which
the 'alif was merely an initial vowel carrier. Classical Arabic was based
on the Eastern dialects in which the glottal stop was pronounced, hence the
need for Hamza as a diacritic. Tradition says that an Eastern dialect
[diacritics and pronunciation] has been superimposed on a Western (Hejazi)
consonantal text [plus a considerable amount of systematisation has been
added] to form classical Arabic. Perhaps a process not too dissimilar to
the work of the Massoretes in Hebrew.

Kevin Riley