b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Origins of the definite article of BHebrew
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:50:51 +0100

Peter שלום לך
I'm glad you do seem to be sensitive to, at least the possibility of,
the idea that the Arabic article may have been l- rather than 'al. The
problem is, usually if a hamz (="alif") disappears, it is compensated
by lengthening. Not always, as you show in the case of malak ملك, but
that exists next to mal'ak ملأك.

You said that Qur'anic spelling is conservative. Although this, I
guess, is right (actually, originally not so much the written, but the
spoken, recited text was holy to Muslims), if the ل laam had been
there already before some consonants (obviously the case), we first
have to know how long this spelling already existed; Arabic wasn't
born for the Qur'an only.

A certain spelling may just be very convenient, without representing a
historical development in all cases. In Korean script, an alphabet
that was designed by scholars, letters are written that have never
existed, but they give a hint to the etymology of the preceding
syllable. Arabic consonantal spelling represents sounds that are not
written (vowels, geminations), why would it not have some signs that
do not represent a sound, for a change?

As I said before, the dissimilation needs to have been innovated in
only one or a few consonants, say ع `ayn or ب baa'; and by analogy it
could have been taken over for other consonants too.
"Popular etymology" is a notorious cause of historic-linguistic
falsification, so people may have thought: "that little sound -l- we
hear, it must be something relevant; let's write it down; if we don't
hear it, for example "(a)d-dars", but in an analogous form,
"(a)l-baab" we do hear it, we'll write it there too! After all it
should have been there in the first place." It is very convenient to
have the laam there to indicate a gemination. After all Arabic is a
stenographic type of script; matres lectionis also developed gradually
in the Semitic laguages, for the sake of easier understanding only.

For clarity's sake: the alif can represent: 1) the vowel ā; 2) a hamz
(glottal stop); 3) a separation at the end of a 3rd person plural
perfect (cf. قالوا qālū) (which is only a straight, vertical line,
nevertheless considered to be an alif); 4) an auxiliary vowel (cf.
Qur'an 7,155 واختار موسى wa-ḵtāra mūsā, with its alifu l-wasli
completely unpronounced). All four cases happen all the time.

Therefore, I do not understand the tendency to think that in Arabic,
everything that's written must be a historical consonant. How many
letters in the English word /thought/ are historical? Both -th- and
-gh- represent only one historical consonant each, not two. Cf. Dutch
/dacht/. As English took an alphabet, the Latin one, that didn't
exactly fit, this is quite understandable. Just because for the Arabic
language, a distinct-looking script has evolved, it doesn't mean all
its consonant-signs represent one consonant each, all the time. This
would be quite unique, taking into account spelling systems all over
the world. Even Korean's unique, specially invented script is not
strictly phonetic: it writes unpronounced letters all the time, only
in order to present a word's root in one syllable.

For the sake of simplicity, hoewever, let's assume, against my
conviction, that not the gemination but the ل l- is the original
article. Classical Arabic grammar states quite clearly: the alif of
the article (a)l- ال should never be given a hamza! This means that
the medieval native Arabic speakers, the grammarians among them, did
not think the alif there ever represented a consonant. This fits, take
ancient poetry! Never the alif is a real hamz (=glottal stop). Cf. the
spelling (a)l-laah الله "God", 2 times laam, but: li l-laah لله "to
God", actually 3 times laam!
This is an exceptional spelling, but it is the standard, and nobody
ever complains of the alif that's "missing". Actually, the rule in
Arabic is that the spelling is based on the situation "in pausa". So
we write فتحت الباب ftht 'lb'b, but we say fatahtu l-baaba, never
*fatahtu 'al-baaba. When you look at Arabic in transcription, it all
becomes much clearer. Another example is the imperative: (i)ktub!
"Write!" Written 'ktb اكتب , it becomes wa-ktub! واكتب; no sign of any
hamz. And I could make this list quite a bit longer.

You think it is improbable that Epyptian, rather than "Arabian"
Arabic, would have more conservative traits. As I said before: I think
there are no linguistic reasons why this would not be possible. A
language can be imported or not, this doesn't always matter. In India,
English -a- in dance is pronounced in an older pronunciation ([dahns])
than in North America: [dehns]. In fact, if a language is imported,
there may be a more "schoolish" approach of its pronunciation, which
is almost by definition more conservative.
Repeating myself:
In Egyptian Arabic we have the ج Jiim of several other dialects and
Modern Standard Arabic pronounced as Giim, so -G- in "give", not -J-
in "jest". In Hebrew the corresponding ג gimel, pronunciation -G- in
"give", seems to represent, like Egyptian Arabic ج, the older version
(cf. Greek's gamma Γ, also pronounced that way). If so, Egyptian
Arabic's double -KK- and -GG- in the article may also preserve the
older, not the younger state, in comparison to MSA.

כל טוב לך
Herman