b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jimmy Doyle <jkdoyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:11:08 -0600

My reason for inquiry has to do with a study of Paul's (and Jesus') use of
the word ekklesia. Since Qahal is most often translated ekklesia in the
LXX, I'm wondering how the Qumran scribes/community used it and if there are
similar uses in Paul's writings. I know that ekklesia has general political
connections in Greek (and later Hellenized Roman) culture, but I'm almost
convinced that Paul's use of ekklesia is more likely a connection to the
qahal of Israel.