b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:22:27 -0700

Herman,
You've hit it right on the head. If we assume there was a "sect" there, then
of course we're going to find one around every corner. If we assume that
this assumed sect was Essene, then we're going to find similarities to
Essenes (about whom we know very little, and the material we have is
contradictory) behind every bush. If we assume that the room was a
scriptorium, even though such an idea was completely foreign to the time and
the region, then we're going to find all kinds of stuff to support that
assumption. Less than a handful of inkwells are supposed to convince us,
even though we should have expected orders of magnitude more from a
scriptorium, and we're going to find "tables" that have to be built up in an
absurd manner because they're too short; we're also going to overlook the
clear butt-prints on these "tables" because they contradict our assumptions.
And don't get me started on the mythical "yahad" ostracon...

And so it goes. To return to your original question, most any study of a
word
such as qahal in the DSS is going to be badly colored by the writer's
assumptions on this subject, so if there are any studies of the term out
there, their usefulness may well be suspect. It just depends on who did them
and what their starting-points were regarding the origins of the scrolls.