b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 32:11 object?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 32:11 object?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:47:58 +0100

Dear Karl,
If we have a dagesh in the Nun of QNW, the chance that it derives of
QNN is much higher than that it derives of QNH. However, it is of
course possible that the two roots are in a way related
etymologically, but I wonder if that's still relevant for this text.
To resolve your problem that the nest would be too large for the
eagle, I think we are dealing with the poetic style of "pars pro
toto", or something similar that I can't find a nice word for, i.e.
using a word that is only part of something else, so "nest" here is
"offspring".
Cf. the frequent use of BYT like in "house of David" where BYT means
"family" or "lineage".
best regards,
Herman