b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (timeindefinite) II)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (timeindefinite) II)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:20:19 -0500

Herman:

First, where does the B- prefix become "when" where it is
not in context with a term referring to time such as (T (e.g.
B(T HHW) )? If this is the only example, then we can
discount it as it has a perfectly good meaning translated
as "In".

Secondly, this chapter grammatically is a series of short
sentences where the waw- is put at the beginning of
sentences to indicate a continuation of the action. Verses
one and two are not subordinate clauses to verse three. If
you want to argue that they are, then by the same logic
verse three is a subordinate clause to verse four. Doesn't
fit.

You asked, "... then how does
> ויאמר wayyomer follow up on ברא bara? "

Simple, it came later.

This "translation" by Alter sounds the same quality as that
by the New English Bible where it "translated" WYHY as
"Once upon a time ..." because they believed that the story
that followed was a fairy tale. So Alter used creative
translation to make it fit his philosophical presuppositions.

Karl W. Randolph.