b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Preposition 'EL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Preposition 'EL
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:24:23 +0100

There is no "change from )L to DRK"; unless there would be manuscripts
were )L would be found. Even then, there is no "change" yet; we would
in this imaginary case have to judge first what the authentic reading
is. We just have two different words here that have been employed, and
as I wrote earlier, the brilliant composition of biblical prose is
what we have to take a look at first, in order to find out why certain
words are used. In almost every case where we wonder "would this or
that word not have been the same or better instead of this word we
have?" it is because we don't know enough about all the things that
are possible in Hebrew.
I think we should not think the grammar books available so far give us
full coverage of all the syntactical possibilities in Hebrew; in fact
I'm sure.
Regards,
Herman