b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in Judea, was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in Judea, was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:41:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>

Jeremiah tells us that those who were not forcibly taken to
Babylon all left and fled to Egypt. And those who did not
want to go were forced to go by the majority. Hence there
were no resident Hebrew speakers when two generations
later the "returnees" came back from Babylon. Further,
documents from Jewish centers in Egypt were in Aramaic.

The rest of your examples are not proof, as in
documentation. All I claim is that there is evidence that
points both ways, neither side having enough evidence
to convince the other side. I personally lean towards one
side, you are convinced of the other. I have never claimed
that Hebrew was not a spoken language, just that the
evidence that I know of indicates that it was not a natively
spoken language. There's a difference between the two.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in Judea, was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II, Karl Randolph, 11/21/2005