b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fwd: Preposition "el"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Preposition "el"
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:45:18 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
Date: 20-nov-2005 15:37
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Preposition "el"
To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>

Michael, to make it even simpler,
Derekh )Artzam is just a construct, lit. "the way of their land" so
here in traditional Hebrew grammar we have no preposition. Translation
by means of a preposition is another matter altogether. Cf.
Latin/English "via" which means "way, road" but in a combinations like
"(I travel) via Rome" we have a preposition "via" that had been
originally a noun with a "genitive" noun in apposition. Forgive me if
I'm not telling you anything new. I think at all times we have to
distinguish the Hebrew grammar from the source language grammar when
we translate; the two rarely are the same.
Regards
Herman