b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fwd: Preposition "el"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Preposition "el"
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:44:10 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
Date: 20-nov-2005 20:23
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Preposition "el"
To: Michael Avraham <koufax1959 AT yahoo.com>

Hi Michael,
In the lines (1K8,48)

we-shavu ELekha
be-khol levavam
u-ve-khol nafsham
**be-eretz oyevekhem** asher shavu otam
we-hitpallu ELekha
**derekh artzam** asher natatta la-avotam
ha`ir asher bacharta
we-habbayit asher banita lishmekha

We can see that the text is carefully constructed; two times [el] is
used (elekha) for G"d; then we see that "be'eretz oyevekhem" has its
parallel in "derekh artzam"; by the way, derekh not only has in
apposition to it the word artzam (...), but also ha`ir (...) and
habbayit (...). Derekh here meaning literally "in the direction of..."
nicely contrasts with BE-eretz, where the "they" are and apparently
don't want to be.
So in my mini-analysis above, composition is mainly what I think makes
words show up in texts. If not [derekh], but [el] would be used, the
nice contrast would be a little blurred and the sense of space of
praying "in the direction of" isn't there.
regards
Herman