b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bethulah equals virgin?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bethulah equals virgin?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:05:44 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:20 AM

Hi Steve,

Bethulah means "virgin".

Could it be more general to mean a morally virtuous woman: either a virgin or a woman faithful in marriage to one husband from her virginity?

Na'arah neans "young woman" - either unmarried or
betrothed but unconsumated.

yes. hence they are called na'arah until verse 13, but not after.

Ahasuerus collected "na'aroth bethuloth" "young
virgins", kept them in his harem, but only consumated his "marriage" to them
after a year - up to that point, they were still virgins. So that in 2:17,
Esther is compaired to the other "women" and "virgins".

That year was up in verses 14-16. I think you are saying that the "women" in v17 are those who already had their time with the king, and the virgins are those who had not yet. But if they had not had their time with the king, how could the king compare Esther to them?

Before they were called na'aroth bethuloth. Now just bethuloth because the marriage has been consumated.

I think the reason for the words nashim and bethuloth is because some of them were not bethuloth.

2:19 seems to be a problem, since afetr their first night with the king, the
women were no longer virgins. Might it mean that he had a second round of
collectng virgins; maybe this was why Mordecai was worried - he thought that
Esther had failed at her mission!

If you isolate 2:19 you might think that, but it does not make sense in the context. The king has already given Esther the royal crown, given her Vashti's position of queen, held a public banquet in her honor, gave gifts and amnesty in her honor, ... and then he is going to look for another queen?
Also, I think it would be a poorly written narrative to bring in such a thought without any explanation.

Mordecai was always sitting in the King's gate, so there is no indication he was any more worried this time than at others. (I think he was a lobbyist for Israel.)

Joel 1:8 compares Israel to a betrothed virgin whose husband died before
consumation.

Hard for me to be satisfied with that explanation. The phrase "of her youth" or "of his youth" is used often in the Bible, and we can see from its usage that it refers to something in the past experience. The phrase is especially similar to Malachi 2:15, "wife of his youth".

Deut. 22:19 uses both terms to reffer to her previous status, since that is
what the husband is challenging.

that is reasonable.

thank you,
-Steve Miller