b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:29:51 -0500

Dear Joel,

[re LXX confirmation for Masoretic work]

NYU Press had kindly granted me persmission to put Table 6.4 from _In
The Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language_ on-line:

http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/Excerpts/ITB-p95.pdf

It contains a list of some names with their Masoretic pointing and LXX
spelling; the Hebrew and Greek are both transliterated.

HH: Thanks for posting this list of Hebrew names, LXX transliterations, and their respective pronunciations in our alphabet. What it suggests to me is that the Greek names did not use a consistent transliteration system (i.e., use of K and C), and some of the transliterations are contrary to the evidence of the Hebrew letters (i.e., DAMASKOS, CALANNI, IOQOR).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard