b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Matthew Guest <ememjee AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:02:42 +0500

On 09/10/2005 02:48, Matthew Guest wrote:

It is my understanding that the consonants are "YHVH" not YHWH. ...

The third consonant is the Hebrew letter ו, known as either waw or vav, which according to the accepted transliteration system on this list is transliterated as W. In modern Hebrew this letter is pronounced like English "v", when it is not marking a vowel, but in biblical Hebrew it was probably pronounced like English "w".

... The etymology being (Phonetically) "Eyah awsha eyah" ...

This is an approximation, and not a very good one. For English speakers, a better approximation to the probable original pronunciation would be more like "Ehyeh ashair ehyeh" - I write "ashair" for the middle word as this suggests the correct pronunciation of the second word with a short first syllable and a stressed second syllable. All of the words should be stressed on the latter syllable.

... meaning "I am that I am", Or "I will be what I will be." This is not up
for debate. The Massorah makes it quite clear in two places.
Both are acrostics, one found in the book of Esther, and the other in The
Psalms.

What do you mean here? Please tell us exactly where you find these alleged acrostics.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)