b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did Plato know about the Old Testament?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did Plato know about the Old Testament?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:18:40 +0300

None at all. Louis Feldman discusses possible philosophical borrowings at some length in "Jew and Gentile in the Ancient World," which are clear (which way, though?) in any case.

Vadim Cherny

how much, if at all, Plato may have been aware of anything from the
Old Testament.

Does anyone here know:

1) if Plato expressly mentions anything from the Old Testament, and if
so, what?

2) if Plato obliquely refers to the Old Testament?

3) where I might find more information about this?

Many thanks.

-Joel