b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5-8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5-8
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:42:26 +0300

1) alah min has an attested sense of migration or, at any rate, of meaningful
ascent. That turn is inapplicable to mist.

2) "formed from the dust of the ground" would be min-aphar haadama. The text,
however, is, aphar min-haadama.

3) "breathed life into his nostrils" is implausible, because nph b has an
attested sense of "to blow into someone's face, reject." Ezekiel 37:9, the
only exception, is recursively modeled upon Gen2:7.

4) "became a living soul" ignores the preposition le, "became for a living
soul."

And an exegetical question, Would any of you profess the religion where God
formed people and animals from earth?

Vadim Cherny
>From eid.david AT gmail.com Mon Oct 3 08:23:06 2005

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:mime-version:content-type;

b=erH0ehTC+4SnEALJNmJ/tVc2jrMOx0W0QUx2I+9P8l5jFDE5eR1QVGnVZX/m9tKI+mRyGjrTiORvL58mBNERez0GVKSpxGgxPcsAtWWoJGJc+Cw+fUqln8wDp3l+E3H1cwgDNdPtO8RfAItuVa5EkrrGf0GAojKROFAcQtTp1GsReceived:
by 10.65.156.14 with SMTP id i14mr2535030qbo;
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 05:23:06 -0700 (PDT)