b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: VadimCherny AT mail.ru
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:24:12 -0400

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:47:48 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
writes:
> > You seem to read selectively. It not only states that there was no
> man
> > to till the ground but that YHWH had not caused it to rain on the
> earth.
> > It would thus seem to exclude either source of moisture which
> would be
> > necessary for the growth of herbage:
> >
> > 1. Rain
> > 2. Irrigation
>
> That was my first impression. But then I realized than avod is not
> normally
> used in the meaning "to irrigate."
> Besides, bushes grow pretty well without irrigation.
> Also, the man was settled in Eden that already had natural
> irrigation. That
> implies that the man was uncapable of such work.
>
> 2:5, �All talk in the fields would be no more in the land, and all
> herbs of
> the field would grow no more, for the Lord God did not cause it to
> drizzle
> on the land, and there was no man to work the land.�
>
> Vadim Cherny

First you omit that which is in the text and then you insert that which
is not in the text. 2.5-6 is prior to the statement that YHWH planted a
garden. 2.5-6 therefore has nothing to do with any supposed naturally
irrigated land.

george
gfsomsel