b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:47:48 +0300

You seem to read selectively. It not only states that there was no man
to till the ground but that YHWH had not caused it to rain on the earth.
It would thus seem to exclude either source of moisture which would be
necessary for the growth of herbage:

1. Rain
2. Irrigation

That was my first impression. But then I realized than avod is not normally used in the meaning "to irrigate."
Besides, bushes grow pretty well without irrigation.
Also, the man was settled in Eden that already had natural irrigation. That implies that the man was uncapable of such work.

2:5, “All talk in the fields would be no more in the land, and all herbs of the field would grow no more, for the Lord God did not cause it to drizzle on the land, and there was no man to work the land.”

Vadim Cherny