b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution - Out of Bounds

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution - Out of Bounds
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:08:23 +0100

On 22/09/2005 03:55, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:

OK, I know I am not the moderator but this whole discussion is just silly.

1) What does this have to do with translating Hebrew?

2) Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of C14 dating techniques. Not what you read on someone's web page but what you yourself know? Is the gas counting technique still viable or has it been comp Dr. Libby, who invented C14 dating, won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1960. There is the slight chance he knew something about chemistry.

I could try to answer your question, for example by pointing out that the real experts know of many factors by which Libby's work has had to be corrected and recalibrated; some of these in fact show that the original gas counting technique is significantly inaccurate but newer mass spectrometry methods are more accurate. But then you would complain that I don't know what I am talking about and this is off topic.

3) There was just a long thread complaining about every newby who has read one Hebrew grammar book and is now an expert on translating the Bible. Unless there are some radio-chemists out there, you don't know what you are talking about.

People can know what they are talking about without being top experts in particular fields.

Let's stick to translating Hebrew.

And now only Nobel Prize winners or their equivalent are now qualified to take part in the discussions, I suppose?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)