b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] what words mean

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] what words mean
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:37:32 +0100

On 20/09/2005 16:13, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

"A person whose liking for chocolate is jestingly likened to the
alcoholic's addictive craving for alcohol."

Context, as I keep telling Vadim, is everything.

Thank you.

This seemingly off-topic disucssion of what "chocoholic" means is
actually quite instructive. Living in an English-speaking country I
know that when native English speakers say "chocoholic" they mean
"someone who really likes chocolate." I know that they *do* *not*
mean "someone who is addicted to chocolate."

Joel, I live in another English-speaking country (UK) and know that when mother tongue English speakers here say "chocoholic" they mean to suggest that the person is addicted to chocolate, or at least that their liking for chocolate is unreasonably strong like that of an addict. They do not mean simply that the person likes chocolate. Maybe this is a matter of dialect difference - but then the American Heritage dictionary seems more on my side than yours, with "craves" rather than "likes".

This agreed-upon usage of a word is what I refer to as "meaning," and
it is this information about English that lets me understand what
someone writing or speaking in English is trying to convey.

Finding a Wikipedia entry that doesn't match how people use the word
is not helpful. ...

I quoted Wikipedia and a dictionary to demonstrate that there is supporting evidence for my own mother tongue speaker intuition, which is of equal validity to yours.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)