b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:55:45 +0100

On 17/09/2005 20:25, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:

Peter,

This exchange clearly illustrates my point. There is a sufficiently wide semantic domain in this lexeme to allow the author to create amiguity as to which exactly part of 'DM is meant, hence the basis for punning and irony.

Correction, there is a sufficiently wide semantic domain in this WORD FORM to allow... It is not one lexeme, but a word form which consists of several different lexemes which are homonyms. Otherwise. I agree.

Puns and word plays are usually between different lexemes with the same or similar forms, rather than between different senses of the same lexeme.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)