b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tenses - the test

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tenses - the test
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:58:40 +0300

The common view is that Hebrew lacks grammaticalized tenses, and qatal/
yiqtol are perfect/ imperfect. That approach guarantees ambiguous
interpretation, and is not faultless; e.g., ostensibly imperfect yiqtol might
refer to continuous action completed in distant past. The approach makes the
function of waw-reversive unclear. No other language that has verb inflexions
lacks tenses.

I suggested another approach: qatal and yiqtol are past and future tenses,
but Hebrew (like Russian, and not completely unlike English) is very flexible
after the deictic centre which often shifts in emphatic speech.
My definition of tenses, therefore, is that they refer to past and future off
the deictic centre, which may shift. When deictic centre shifts back,
narrator is mentally transposed into the past events, and may employ future
tense to relate of the events long past from reader's viewpoint, but which
are yet to happen from the narrator's shifted deictic centre. Likewise, a
prophet lives the future events, and may relay them to readers in the past
tense.
Waw-reversive, in that scenario, just reverses tenses: weqatal is archaic
future, while wayiqtol is pseudo-archaic past.
Idiomatic usage might change the meaning of tenses in very rare cases, just
as in other languages.

Natural sciences require three tests to accept a hypothesis:
- it should not generally contradict known facts.
- if contradictions arise, they should be explainable either as measurement
(grammatical) errors or predictable deviations (idiomatic usage, in our
case). Such contradictions should be no more than a few.
- when several hypothesis explain the facts, Occam's razor is employed.

My hypothesis passes the razor: its application requires no interpretation.
I don't claim grammatical errors. I would accept idiomatic usage only as
exceedingly rare.

The real test is whether my hypothesis contradicts known facts. Thus, I ask
Rolf:

would you please state a Tanakhic example of a verb which, in your opinion,
does not fit my definition of Hebrew tenses?

Is there a verb in non-idiomatic Tanakhic phrase, such as:
qatal or wayiqtol that does not refer to the past (relative to the deictic
centre), or
yiqtol or weqatal that does not refer to the future (relative to the deictic
centre)?

If anyone could suggest a better test, please let me know, and I would gladly
participate.

Vadim Cherny