b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <kgraham0938 AT comcast.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:32:31 +0300

"As I live," as I indicated, is my paraphrase, not, of course, actual
reading. I tried to find the closest English idiom. In Russian, there is an
idiom equal to "I swear my life," literally something like, "Let me live by
that," or "I will so live," which is closer to the Hebrew text.
I don't assert there was similar idiom in Hebrew. But that seems possible.

Vadim Cherny

> I don't know anything about Russian. But I am sure you understand what
you wrote below. I understand what you are saying (well at least the
English part), but it seems to me that only one part of your translation is
focused on the tense of the verb 'EH:YEH if I am reading you correctly.

> What I mean is that, I had gathered from your earlier post that because
'EH:YEH was an imperfect it should be future tense. But your personal
translation has the first 'EH:YEH as future and the second as present.
i.e."as I live."

> By the way, I know nothing about Russian, so that part of your argument
went right over my head.
> --
> Kelton Graham
> KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

> > Sure, that is what I suggest. Palliative refusal, that is the sense of
verb
> > asher verb. Remember, Moses didn't tell the name to the people, though
he
> > asked for the name specifically to prove his authority to Israelites.
Seems