b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] re- copyright laws

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] re- copyright laws
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:00:44 +0100

On 15/09/2005 12:49, Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:

Peter:

Actually there are many works on the site that are
clearly still under copyright protection, such as TDNT
and Colin Brown's NIDNTT. Most of the books are of
this type. ...

Yes, but see the "Copyright Info" link at http://www.biblecentre.net/. I presume that permission has been obtained from these publishers for these other works.

... I would agree that GKC edition is most
likely in the public domain

As the site is in fact apparently in "London, England" (as also indicated by the spelling of its name!) and GKC is unambiguously out of copyright in the UK, there is no doubt that the site is legitimate. I am not sure of the legal position of someone in the USA downloading from a UK website a work which is still copyrighted in the USA. But it seems highly unlikely that this applies to this work.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)