b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did Moses See God's Glory? Ex 33

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did Moses See God's Glory? Ex 33
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:16:00 -0500

Dear Peter,

HH: God's goodness is His glory. It was Roger Federer's goodness as a tennis player that was his glory yesterday as he won the U.S. Open championship. That's what people came out to see. What makes God wonderful and glorious is His goodness.

Ah, but what is "goodness"? When I think of God's goodness, I think of qualities such as love and kindness, i.e. his character, rather than skill or power. Federer may be loving and kind, but it is not such things which cause him to win at tennis. As a result translation of words meaning "good" can be rather difficult.

HH: It was just an illustration, but goodness includes ability and excellence. Did you read the rest of the post? I wrote:

HH: It's apparent to me that chapter 34 is the fulfillment of chapter 33, which only says what God is going to do. The fulfillment is given in chapter 34. In 34:5 the Lord descends in His cloud of glory and stands with Moses, as He said He would in chapter 33. Ex 34:6 says that God passed by before him, just as chapter 33:19, 22 promised. Exodus 34:6-7 give content to the "glory" discussed in chapter 33. What is glorious about God above all is His character and its manifestation in His dealings with mankind.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard