b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] More on Exodus 33:11-23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] More on Exodus 33:11-23
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:37:14 -0500

Dear Jack,

I see your point. Ex 33:19 is a very long and indirect way
of saying - No you may not see my glory.

That provides an interesting transistion into Ex 34. Moses
originally asks to be shown Yahweh's way. Yahweh says I
will grant you your request. Moses changes to the subject
to seeing the glory of Yahweh. Yahweh says no but does
show him His goodness are back-side. Then Yahweh changes
the subject back to His teachings and has Moses make a new
set of stone tablets on which will be written the ways of
Yahweh. That provides an interupted narrative Teachings -
Glory - Glory - Teachings.

HH: I don't think that God's glory can be defined to His face. When the tabernacle was built, it was filled with God's glory, something Israel saw, but it did not involve God's face, it seems.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard