b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] kap or kop

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] kap or kop
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:42:17 +0000

On 9/10/05, Tyler Williams wrote:
> Thanks Solomon,

> [quoting Solomon Landers]
>
> Or Kittel may represent the Ashkenazi pronunciation ("kof"),
> whereas the Israeli pronunciation is Sephardi ("kaf").

Then it would be wrong on the Ashkenazi pronunciation too! The
letter, and word, kaph has a patah (a qamats only as a pausal
form), and so is a short "a". This is probably why the Greek reads
kappa, which if taken from Phoenician would represent a sound
not affected by the shift from "long a" to "o" which is visible in the
previous letter iota. The same rule takes effect also in the
Ashkenazi pronunciation of the sound. An example web page is
that shows this is: http://www.torahscribe.com/letters.htm
(I also found web pages that claim the letter is "Chof" or
something to that effect, though...)

Peter Kirk wrote:
> So, what is the Ashkenazi pronunciation of the letter ק qof or
> qoph? And what is Kittel's rendering? Do Ashkenazis distinguish
> the sounds of the letters כ kaf and ק qof?

Both Ashkenazis and Israelis distinguish the letters only by their
sound without a dagesh. As to the names of the letters, the names
are clearly distinguishable because of the "short a"/"long a"
difference.

Yitzhak Sapir