b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Graham" <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:31:18 +0000

Hi Karl,
== Even your characteristic that physical references are allegorical is a concession to Greek philosophical thinking, one that I am not
willing to make.
That's fine, we can agree to disagree. I just find it highly coincidental, hence suspicious.
== Along the same lines are the anthropomorphisms for God. An English equivalent would be the statement "He walked into that situation with open eyes" which all but the most obtuse would recognize that the person in question did something fully recognizing what he was getting into;

No, that is an idomatic expression.

== I see no reason to say that ancient Hebrews did not recognize these as figures of speech.

What you guys can't seem to come to grips with is the fact that you're assuming these woprds are idomatic expressions without evidence. When the literal reading makes perfect sense, there is no reason to go hunting for plausible, variant explanations. Explanations which merely beg the question.

It isn't enough that the Hebrews couldn't have used these as idomatic expressions. Following this rationale, they "could have" understood "backparts" to mean green pea soup. I mean, can you prove that they didn't?

When the plain reading makes perfect sense, metaphor and allegory must be proved, not assumed.