b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:02:39 -0500

Kevin:

Even your characteristic that physical
references are allegorical is a concession to
Greek philosophical thinking, one that I am not
willing to make.

For example, what do we know about God? He is
the one who created the universe (Genesis 1,
historical reference), who encountered Abraham,
Isaac and Jacob (historical references), who
acted to cause Israel to leave Egypt
(historical reference), and on and on where
each historical reference references an action
that God has done. Even his communications are
actions. In other words, what is known about
God is defined by his actions into history, not
logical arguments as in Greek philosophy.

Along the same lines are the anthropomorphisms
for God. An English equivalent would be the
statement "He walked into that situation with
open eyes" which all but the most obtuse would
recognize that the person in question did
something fully recognizing what he was getting
into; the closest to being an allegory being
that it is a pictorial reference to actions,
but not true allegory as in Plato's famous cave
with the shadows. I think it is more accurate
to call these figures of speech instead of
allegories. I see no reason to say that ancient
Hebrews did not recognize these as figures of
speech.

Karl W. Randolph.