b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes, was Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] physical attributes, was Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:47:04 -0500

I have read a third option, with which I
agree, which states that often the
references to body parts refer not to the
physical objects, but to actions. An
"upraised arm" is one that is involved with
action, such as work or warring. "Open eyes"
are looking. A reference to "feet" points to
movement. And so forth.

I wonder if metaphor is a sufficient term to
apply to such thinking? In a society where
action seems to have been the basis of
thought (contrast to most Western philosophy
where form, hence also physical, forms the
basis of consideration), would not much that
we would take as descriptions of form be
references to actions? It seems so to me.

Karl W. Randolph.