b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:25:45 -0600

On Thursday 01 September 2005 17:35, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 01/09/2005 22:42, Bill Rea wrote:
> >
> >If you think that's what I was saying you should look back at the archives
> >and re-read my posts. ...
>
> Maybe you didn't quite say this, Bill, but it is how your position seems
> to have been understood. If you don't in fact think this, good.
>
> >... Several participants have run down the current
> >system of peer-reviewed journals, calling them things like ``incestuous''.
> >Such criticisms are just hot air. The shear volume of research output
> >requires some mechanism to sift the wheat from the chaff. In Karl's
> >case he has said that he had a chance to do a Ph.D. but is glad that
> >he didn't. He doesn't appear to work at any place which supports
> >research into the Hebrew language. Those are the choices he made, ...
>
> I don't know much about Karl's personal circumstances, but there may be
> compelling reasons which we don't know about why he has no choice about
> not working at such a place. One very probable one is that he probably
> needs to earn a living, and paid positions in Hebrew research are rather
> few. In other words, this may not be his choice at all.
>
> But speaking for myself, I did and do have the opportunity to study for
> a PhD at a recognised institution, and indeed seriously considered this
> (in fact I have done so three times in my life, and in three different
> subjects!), but then decided that there was really little point in doing
> so. ...

My situation is somewhere between Peter and Karl. I was going to have the
chance to take a Ph.D. in linguistics at a fairly major university, but my
family was in a rather precarious situation in a city where we really didn't
feel safe. With 2 daughters ages 5 and 2 at the time, when my wife got the
chance to land a very well-paying job in a small town in the next state, I
had a choice to make. I chose in favor of my family, and don't regret it.
Unlike Karl, I'm not glad I never got the doctorate, mainly because it would
have been a lot of fun, and at that time I could easily have become a
professional student and loved every minute of it. I would have loved to
have the degree, but it never happened. Now, at 52, I find that with the
advent of the Internet, it's not that crucial any more.

Look at this forum. We have folks of every level of knowledge from the
newborn to the lifetime-fluent, and we all talk to each other, share ideas
and exchange information and topics. It really doesn't matter that X has a
Ph.D. and Y doesn't, everybody has an equal voice here. We may occasionally
get into some profound disagreements - Peter and I do that regularly :-) but
still, we all listen to each other and interact with each other more or less
as equals. That's why I tend to call the Internet "the great equalizer."
Anybody can post their ideas - respectfully, of course - in a forum like
this, and anybody can post their ideas - respectfully or otherwise - on the
Web. Because of this Great Equalizer, anyone is free and able to examine and
evaluate those ideas, some of which, such as Karl's, might never see the
light of day in the traditional forums. Whether one agrees with Karl, or
Rolf, or me, or anybody else, or not, we get to voice our thoughts and
interact with some major players. I can't speak for anybody else, but I love
that.

I have also had the chance to make my voice heard in the more traditional
forums, as well; I've published in several of the "refereed journals" (do the
editors wear striped shirts?) and published a book through the SBL. So with
enough tenacity (and a tad of arrogance, I do not hesitate to confess), even
a lowly MA from a relatively minor institution in the Rocky Mountain West can
make his voice heard right up there with the big kids. And I didn't have to
sacrifice my children to do it. Talk about the best of both worlds...I truly
have been blessed, even without a Ph.D.

But Peter, you have me curious. You say you decided there was little point
in
pursuing it. What prompted that conclusion, if I may ask?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur