b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Chronicles 21 - &+N revisited

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Chronicles 21 - &+N revisited
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:55:07 -0500

Chris:

Intreguing idea.

As for the use of SWT, I have it listed in my dictionary as
"to tempt, instigate, rouse into action, its uses range from
God allowing a temptation to occur, which is supposed to be
resisted (e.g. Deuteronomy 13:7, see context) to a morally
neutral enticement or goad to do something (e.g. Joshua
15:18, Judges 1:14) and areas in between (e.g. 1 Kings
21:25). It is found only in Hiphil" The uses of this verb
does not rule out God allowing a temptation to occure that
David should have resisted. Furthermore, in David's previous
wars, he tended to muster the whole people without numbering
them. So there was no real reason for the census.

Karl W. Randolph.