b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God vs gods

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God vs gods
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:37:20 +1000

Dictionary of Deities and Demons (DDD) has a good article on "Zeus", with an
extensive bibliography. For the identification with Baal Shamaim (or Baal
Shamem), see:

J. Teixidor, The Pagan God: Popular Religion in the Greco-Roman Near East
(Princeton, 1977), 27.
Cf. Josephus, Antiquities 8.145-147.

I note the article also says that some associated Zeus with YHWH, including
some diaspora Jews.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages
Southern Cross College
Sydney, Australia
(Moving to a post at Moore Theological College from Jan 1)