b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Verbs Request (from Rodney Duke)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Verbs Request (from Rodney Duke)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:27:35 +0100

Hi there,

my 'linguistic' process is an instinctual one. It follows no strict rules or
formalised methods which
can be found summarised in a scholarly work.
It basically consists of listening (or reading in the case of the tanakh).
The assumption is that
there are no such thing as 'grammatical rules' but only 'usual behaviours &
patterns'. Under this
philosophy 'exceptions' are not to be considered 'bad grammar' but the
difference between having
an accademic knowledge of the language and really understanding the languages
living spirit. Thus
the true meaning of any word, suffic, prefix or particle is more governed by
its contextual usage
,while they can often have a primary meaning that is considered to be its
normal meaning.

e.g.
The particle 'wa' has the basic meaning of 'and' and when affixed to
wayyiqtols has the effect of
indicating a sequence. But to say that 'wa' always means 'and' and a
'wayyiqtol' always indicates
sequence is contrary both to the data and to mylinguistic instincts. The data
and my instincts
show that 'wa' is often better translated as 'but/when/while' depending on
the context. In the
same way that data also shows that wayyiqtols do not always indicate sequence.
Was sequence normal in spoken hebrew with wayyiqtols? We don't know! But we
can say with certainty
that the corpus of the hebrew bible shows that this is the major usage. But
what it is imperative
to understand from an 'instictually linguistic' point of view is that it is
the *context* and not
the form which dictates this.

Similar arguments can be given with aspect etc. of verbs but I think you get
the point:

1) Forms can have a seemingly primary usage
2) The exceptions to the primary usage are what refine your understanding
3) It is the context and not the form that dictate the meaning