b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Read James C <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:33:56 +0100

On 17/08/2005 17:21, Jim West wrote:

Are the LXX names of Greek origin only or are they attempts to translate common Jewish practise?

huh?

The LXX names for the five books are similar to, and the basis of, our modern English book names, but are quite different from the traditional Hebrew names. I doubt if there is any evidence old enough to tell us whether the LXX names were inventions of its translators, or of later Greek commentators, or were based on an alternative Hebrew naming tradition.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)