b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Face of God?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Face of God?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:05:13 -0700 (PDT)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Aug 12 15:04:18 EDT 2005

wrote:

As for the face of God, if God created the whole
universe in
seven days as he claims in Genesis one, what's to stop
him
from appearing to Jacob in a human form? That is not
claim that God intrinsically has a human form (the
rest of
Tanakh argues against that) but that he is able to
appear
that way when he so chooses. And that Jacob recognized
that
he was dealing with God appearing to him in human
form.

I have heard, throughout the course of my life, the
many explanations about metaphoric interpretation,
mystical interpretation, and other such concepts. What
I am mostly focusing on these days, is what the plain
text says as it has been written. Here is another
verse that I was pondering:

Daniel 7

9 I beheld till thrones were placed, and one that was
ancient of days did sit: his raiment was as white
snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his
throne was fiery flames, and the wheels thereof
burning fire.

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Aug 12 15:15:35 EDT 2005

wrote:

See Genesis 18

Yes, this is also another one Dave. The text states
that it is the appearance of a man who has eyes/sight,
while verse one clearly says that YHWH appeared to
him. This is the way it has been translated by a
number of translators who are Jewish, Christian, as
well as secular.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

  • [b-hebrew] Face of God?, Gene Gardner, 08/12/2005