b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language of Attributes of YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language of Attributes of YHWH
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:15:57 -0500

This is not a question of what are the attributes of God,
but how are we to understand the language used when
describing God?

In my understanding, the language talks about action. Even
when listing "physical" attributes, they are not to be
understood as saying that God has a physical body as we do,
rather they are symbolically referring to God's actions.
For example, when God led Israel out of Egypt "with an
upraised arm" that is the action of warfare, the arm is
raised to strike. When God is "tired", he is not physically
tired, rather he has "had it up to here" with man's rebellion.
And so forth.

In fact, throughout Tanakh, appearance is almost never
mentioned outside of when it has bearing on actions.

Karl W. Randolph.