b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Evil & God

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Evil & God
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:46:01 -0400

Then explain the creation of Satan and as an evil being. Especially given the Christian teaching of Lucifer, the fallen angel and 1/3 of the angels in heaven, having fallen to serve him.

I have already explained. But I don't have to explain "given" any Christian teachings, since that is not a religion that I embrace.

Satan is an angel, which has no free choice, which has a job which is to tempt people away from obedience to G-d. When they choose to obey G-d instead of succumbing to Satan's temptations, their souls are elevated.

"For the Jewish faith, Satan's purpose in seducing man away from God poses no problem because Satan is only an agent of God. As a servant of the Almighty, Satan faithfully carries out the divine will of his Creator as he does in all his tasks.

"Satan is one of the many angels mentioned in the Bible. It is worth noting that the Hebrew word for angel is malach, meaning "messenger." The same is true for the English word angel, derived from the Greek word angelos, which also means "messenger." Throughout the Bible, an angel is a messenger of God who carries out the divine will of the Almighty. There is not one example in the Jewish scriptures where any angel, Satan included, opposes God's will.

Shoshanna