b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Evil, God, Satan, & Enoch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: pawel AT kul.stalwol.pl
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Evil, God, Satan, & Enoch
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:49:44 +0300

On 8/11/05, Pawel wrote:
> Dear Jack,
>
> > Just a note, that the idea * fallen angels * originated
> > with the Book of Enoch which was very popular in many
> > circles, both Christian and Judaic, between 200 BCE - 200
> > AD. (...)
>
> Many thanks for the information. We may say then that
> the origin of the idea of 'fallen angels' was Judaic
> (the Book of Enoch was Jewish), but it was accepted
> in Christianity very early, at the very beginning.
> So it is right to say that it is both Jewish and
> Christian.

Even if you accept the idea that Henoch contained said references
(see Rolf's comments), it is wrong to use it in this context to say
that the idea is Jewish. In case Henoch did originally contain
said references, it might be said that various sects of Jews in
the Second Temple period accepted the idea. However, Judaism
as it has developed in Pharisaic and Rabbinic Judaism did not, so
all the book of Henoch tells you is that the idea is not "Jewish" but
may have been an idea that was accepted by certain sects during
the late Second Temple period that no longer exist. However, in
light of Rolf's comments even this is probably too much to say. In
any case, the idea is not Jewish if you are referring to Rabbinic or
Pharisaic Judaism. If you want to claim it isn't Christian, that is
up to you.

Yitzhak Sapir