b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Evil & God

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pawel <pawel AT kul.stalwol.pl>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Evil & God
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:30:58 +0200

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

> > Just so you know - Judaism does not teach that Satan "fell", that is
> > a Christian idea.
>
> Well, isn't it rather a judeo-christian idea?
>
> No, it is a Christian idea

Very laconic :-). I can only reply similarly: no, it isn't.
Now let me make my point clear.
Unlike judaism which is not dogmatic and admits
some variety of views on the same issue, christianity
has a very strict and inflexible doctrine which
is obliging for every believer. All views which
are not contained in the doctrine and do not oppose
it are acceptable - there is a principle: "in dubio
libertas". Now, when you say that an idea 'is Christian'
you suggest that it is part of the official Christian
doctrine. In case of "the fall of Satan" - it is
simply not true. The existence of evil is a dogma,
as well as the existence of the perverted evil spirit.
There is, however, no dogmatic sentence about the
origin of evil or about the 'fall' of Satan.

Now, what do you mean by: 'judaism says that...'?
Which judaism? I would agree if you said: 'many
rabbis, for instance rabbi Miller, say that...'
Than I would answer: 'And other rabbis say something
different, and they are as good as rabbi Miller!'
Of course, you may say to that: but the Jewish Bible
says...!' Yes, but if it were possible to unequivocally
construe the Bible, there woud not exist so many
different teachings within judaism.

I cannot agree with rabbi Miller in many points
but I would like to make my letter too long.

Regards -

--
Pawel Sajdek
<>< XPICTOC NIKA ><>