b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] silent schewa v. vocal schewa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] silent schewa v. vocal schewa
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:05:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>

> Hi b-he-brewers,
>
> I have another question for you which I have never had completely answered.
>
> The schewa of she'ol is vocal right?
> But the schewa of eh:yeh isn't,right?
>
> How do we know this?

We don't.

Our present pronunciation is our interpretation of
Masoretic pointing. Masoretic pointing was invented long
after Hebrew ceased to be spoken on the street as the
everyday language (how long? that is a matter of dispute).
More than one of us are convinced, and others allow that
we may be right, that the pointing does not reflect the
pronunciation used when Hebrew was spoken as a native
language, but the lack of native speakers leaves that
pronunciation a matter of speculation.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm