b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] documentary hypothesis, overview?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: � <sh AT teol.ku.dk>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] documentary hypothesis, overview?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:58:57 -0400

try this soren

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/2/Judaism/jepd.html
and of course this
http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/crit_doc.html

Jim

� wrote:

Can anyone recommend a "key" to what's considered Prietsly, Yahwistic etc. in the
Pentateuch? I don't particularly want to start a discussion on the *validity* of the documentary
hypothesis, I'm simply interested in showing students an easy way to find out what adherents of
the hypothesis *mean*, when they say "J source" etc.
I know only of the three listed below myself. Eissfeldt confusingly has a fourth
"layman's source" (a sort of proto-J) in addition to J, E and P, and of
course cannot take into account later scholarship (like, is E and J really one
source?), so it's a bit confusing for the uninitiated. Smend is fine for reading the
presumed J and P sources as consecutive documents, but troublesome to look things up
in. And I haven't been able to lay my hands on Campbell/O'Brien (it's at the library of
Aarhus University the other end of Denmark, where all the good books seem to be hidden
away).
Could there be a web site out there, that I've overlooked, which collects
all the information?

kol tuv
Soren

* O. Eissfeldt, Hexateuch-Synopse, Leipzig: Hinrich's, 1922
* R. Smend, Alttestamentliches Lesebuch, Hamburg: Siebenstern, 1974
* Campbell, A. F. og M. A. O'Brien, Sources of the Pentateuch. Texts,
Introductions, Annotations, Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 1993
*