b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:42:13 +0100

On 04/08/2005 14:53, Gene Gardner wrote:

Zephaniah 3

9 For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language,
that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
serve Him with one consent.

I am surprised at your translation here. What is promised is SAFA B:RURA, literally "a purified lip". While SAFA can mean "language", this use is relatively rare. It is surely more likely that YHWH is promising to purify the lips or mouths of his people, cf Isaiah 6:5-7, so that they can worthily call on his name. But I don't see any suggestion that their language will be changed by this - except perhaps by avoiding bad words and blasphemy.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)